Loveland Police Sgt. Avoids Arrest Warrant for Failure to Appear on Excessive Force Case

Being a police comes with a lot of perks but who knew that delaying an arrest warrant for failure to appear (FTA) is one of them?

That is the case for Loveland police Sgt. Justin Chase. Chase was scheduled to appear before the judge Monday November 6 on charges of excessive force. Chase did not show up for the court hearing and he did not offer up an excuse or reason why he would not show. This prompted Judge Mary Berenato to consider issuing a bench warrant for the ghost police sergeant.

Instead of issuing the warrant immediately Berenato decided to give Chase until 3pm Tuesday to show up in her courtroom or the warrant would be issued. Deputy District Attorney Shaun Reinhart asked Berenato to issue the warrant immediately due to Chase’s failure to appear, instead of waiting until Tuesday.

“I think he needs to be treated fairly like everybody else,” Reinhart said.

Chase’s attorney, Reid Elkus, argued for a delay in the warrant issuance claiming that his client’s disappearance was out of character and that a perfectly good reason would be available in the next 24 hours as to why Chase did not show up.

Well the good sergeant did show up Tuesday morning avoiding the issuing of the arrest warrant. Details as to why he did not show the day prior however were not available but his attorney Elkus, told Judge Berenato that his client suffered an emergency and that Chase’s failure to appear was “out of character.”

Chase is being accused of using excessive force stemming from the November 5, 2016 arrest of Timothy Jarrett. Jarrett was initially contacted by police on suspicion of violating a restraining order. He reportedly became violent with police and had to be subdued by multiple officers.

The Reporter Herald wrote:

An arrest affidavit for Jarrett indicates he was shot with a Taser while in handcuffs, after kicking an officer in the chest. The affidavit, written by Officer Matt Sychla, does not specify which of several responding officers fired the Taser, and alleges Jarrett committed felony assault of a peace officer and misdemeanor counts of obstruction of a peace officer, resisting arrest, violation of bail bond conditions and violation of a protection order.

All charges against Jarrett except the violation of a protection order were dismissed in court as part of a plea deal he took in the case, according to court documents.

Chase, while assisting officers in loading Jarrett into a patrol vehicle, allegedly punched Jarrett after he was secure in the car. Sgt. Brandon Johnson testified that Chase delivered a blow to Jarrett after he had already been secured by a seat belt in the patrol vehicle and was in handcuffs and leg restraints. Before that, Chase punched Jarrett in the shoulder two to three times, which is a department approved technique, according to Johnson.

Chase is currently on unpaid leave from the police department.

Like. Share. Subscribe.